Many drugs exist but some of them are abused more often than others. As an employer, it’s important to know not only the most commonly abused drugs used today, but also the signs that a problem is there. This information keeps everyone at your business safe and secure, which is important.
Some of the most commonly abused drugs being used today include:
· Marijuana: Marijuana is not legal for medicinal or recreational use in Houston or anywhere in the state of Texas, although it is in many states. Therefore, anyone found to be in possession with this drug can go to jail and face harsh penalties if convicted.
· Alcohol: Many people don’t consider alcohol to be a drug since it is sold to anyone 21+, thousands of people suffer from alcohol addiction and abuse every year. Along with marijuana, it’s the most commonly used illicit substance.
· Prescription Pills: Many prescription medications are used for alternative purposes than intended these days, particularly narcotic pain relievers, muscle relaxers, and anti-anxiety medications.
· Heroin: There is a heroin epidemic in many areas of the U.S. and while things aren’t that bad in Houston, there is undoubtedly a problem that should be of concern.
· Methamphetamines: Methamphetamines are dangers and sadly, the number of people who turn to this drug rises dramatically every single day. Meth is addictive and deadly with just one use and can cause a lot of criminal behavior that you certainly don’t want to endure on your property.
Performing drug testing houston tx is a good idea if you suspect that someone on the job is using drugs. Or, make mandatory random drug tests a part of your job requirements to reduce the odds that people who use drugs will apply for a position with your company.